Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Bubble

The Tulip Folly by Jean-Léon Gérôme, painted in 1882

In this scene, a nobleman guards an exceptional bloom as soldiers trample flowerbeds in a vain attempt to stabilize the tulip market by limiting the supply.

Wiki says:
Tulip mania or tulipomania (Dutch names include: tulpenmanie, tulpomanie, tulpenwoede, tulpengekte and bollengekte) was a period in the Dutch Golden Age during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then suddenly collapsed.

At the peak of tulip mania, in March 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. It is generally considered the first recorded speculative bubble (or economic bubble), although some researchers have noted that the Kipper- und Wipperzeit episode in 1619–22, a Europe-wide chain of debasement of the metal content of coins to fund warfare, featured mania-like similarities to a bubble. The term "tulip mania" is now often used metaphorically to refer to any large economic bubble (when asset prices deviate from intrinsic values).

The Bubble

I invested in
tulips when I came around
last time and lived in
Holland on the north
bank of the town’s main canal.
That was just before
the market smashed bang
on the stones of the basement.

I lost all my seeds…

May 4, 2014 10:53 PM

Written in response to Irene's blog post on May 5, 2014: Tulip Fever

4 comments:

  1. The bubble burst.
    In my arrogance i thoughf
    I could stretch it out
    But this is no mitifore
    The crash happned
    Twas shit on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "mitifore" = metaphor

      don't like the sound of this. I have been down with heart crap (I think-but who really knows) plus a cat scratch on my leg that doesn't stop spilling out lymph (what I call it) or interstitial fluid (what Francie calls it) but it has slowed back to a tiny two dribs now from a flow that filled the bottom of my croc the first day.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I was in my opinion shit on recently as well. Nothing for such things except to reconfigure the friend list, dropping people who are no longer trustworthy.

      Delete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!