Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Phone Call From Ohio


When I got the call
the world dropped from beneath me
and I had to take
flight to survive it.

She said she found you beside
your bed all curled up,
the far side, hidden
from her at your door, from her
hopes for you. She had
hopes for you.

At least
you got your wish for release
though I bet it hurt.

September 11, 2010 3:06 PM

One week ago it was Annie Sheekley's birthday. April 17. In the fall of 2001, Annie Sheekley died. September 11, 2001 was of course the day many things changed. Annie lived in Ohio at the end, brought home by her sister who hoped as I hoped that somehow Annie would find it possible to thrive. She developed an infection in her kidneys and while she complained of it she was not successful at convincing the doctors to pay close attention, this because she wsa medically a constant challenge to us all. She died of the infection as I describe alone in the apartment she could no longer afford, her money all gone and she no closer to being able to work. Ouch.

It was her sister Betsy who found her. She had done all she could as I had done all I could as so many had done all they could for this woman. I am guessing the doctors felt that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!