Saturday, March 29, 2014

William Blake, Irene, and Me


William Blake wrote:

This image is Blake's actual hand drawn work and calligraphy. It is isolated here from the middle of the page of three poems. I have seen it. You can too. Google Ah! Sunflower.

Irene wrote:

Ah, Sunflower

Would you die again, and again?
Mending that aftermath–shiver
your toes? When the bowl turned to
face the sun, then I remember.
After Blake, I followed a stream,
packed liquid gold; heavenly sill.

Mortals wish to burst time.
Do I need ask why, you fly?
Kiss upon my brow so I sigh
and root in you as if it’s
some divine plan brought to
heal this growl. Kneel I will.

I write:

Find God In Sunflowers

What were his quatrains
increased by two, two hexes
of lines. They nearly
rhyme as you call Blake
to your side to build your case
and show me my love
in spite of my rush
for the door.

I shall burst time.
I meant to do that
long before we met.
I don't fear your kiss, nor mine
but confess I fear
the hot lips of God.

‎March ‎28, ‎2014 10:54 PM

Wiki writes: William Blake (28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827) was an English poet, painter and printmaker.

Considered mad by contemporaries for his idiosyncratic views, Blake is held in high regard by later critics for his expressiveness and creativity, and for the philosophical and mystical undercurrents within his work. His paintings and poetry have been characterised as part of the Romantic movement and "Pre-Romantic", for its large appearance in the 18th century. Reverent of the Bible but hostile to the Church of England (indeed, to all forms of organised religion), Blake was influenced by the ideals and ambitions of the French and American Revolutions. Though later he rejected many of these political beliefs, he maintained an amiable relationship with the political activist Thomas Paine; he was also influenced by thinkers such as Emanuel Swedenborg. Despite these known influences, the singularity of Blake's work makes him difficult to classify. The 19th-century scholar William Rossetti characterised him as a "glorious luminary", and "a man not forestalled by predecessors, nor to be classed with contemporaries, nor to be replaced by known or readily surmisable successors".

In 2002, Blake was placed at number 38 in the BBC's poll of the 100 Greatest Britons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!