Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Flagstone Path - A Magpie Tale

Photo by Mark G Haley. He holds the copyright, 2010.
Offered by Tess Kincaid as a writing prompt for Mag 188
To join with and enjoy this week's Magpie Tales writing group *click here*

The Flagstone Path

I pull up the stones
looking for signs you left me.
I miss you that much.
I find no treasure
and this matches the gray day,
the pile up of clouds,
and the systole hitch
I live with these halting times.

I set down the stones
using all due care
trying for the undisturbed
appearance of things
and I think I do
well enough, thank you. Indeed.
I pray you find peace.

September 29, 2013 11:22 AM

13 comments:

  1. The first stanza is achingly sad. I love the idea of searching for signs beneath the stones. Anything to bring someone back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave no stone unturned...beautiful write...as always...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, this poem reveals some insanity. Why would my lover leave treasure under the stones? Tess, thank you for catching and revealing the subconscious phrase behind the work. I did not consciously try to flesh out the phrase though I certainly know it. Most of my work is derivative in this sort of way: a photo features a flagstone path which leads to the idea of leaving no stone unturned which in turn becomes the main action offsetting the pain of loss evoked by the gray stormy hues, which of course also match the sequence of Pacific weather fronts moving through the northern part of the Willamette valley today. I wish I lived on the Oregon coast on days like today. It is probably majestic there. We are getting doused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad and then philosophical. Nicely constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps it's a metaphysics path?l Looking for buried treasures overlooked before would fit well in this case...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be assured that we all live in halting times in this world--even those who appear to have it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peace I sense will be found. Lovely depth your magpie travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you opened this poem. It pulled me right in.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!