Thursday, November 18, 2010

Not A Swan

Photo by Michel Rajkovic

"I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate." - George Burns

"Maybe I'm lucky to be going so slowly, because I may be going in the wrong direction." - Ashleigh Brilliant

"Sport and life is about losing. It's about understanding how to lose." - Lynn Davies

"Hope is itself a species of happiness, and perhaps, the chief happiness which this world affords." - Samuel Johnson

It is important to think I could be a swan. It is equally important to know I am not a swan. I am not good for carrying heavy loads. I am unlikely to ever build a house. Hell, I have trouble staying awake in the afternoon commute. I guess I will never be qualified as a truck driver either. I am no mechanic and really don't care to cook or clean or do much of anything really. Oh yes, I write a pretty good poem and noodle around on keyboards of different kinds fairly well. So if swans can write poetry, then maybe I have a chance.

Not A Swan

If you came up on
me floating in the middle
of my small puddle
I would be scrambling
into the air, like some big
old ungainly bird,
definitely not
a swan.

August 31, 2009 12:56 PM

2 comments:

  1. We are many things at differing times, ages, situations. Changelings, shape shifters. I think I saw it, between puddle and flight...you, as swan.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!