Friday, August 27, 2010

A Serious Question



There are serious religious arguments about the subject of this poem. Christians, Jews and Muslims would answer in some sense yes. Buddhists would answer in some sense no, but as a matter of service, then yes for a really long time. Hindus and Taoists would suggest it is just not the right question at all but in the end illusory, just wait and see, because you can wait, life after life and eventually, sooner or later, you will see.

I wrote this poem on Independence Day, last year.

A Serious Question

If I was of one
mind, would it be my one mind?
Questions like that hurt
my brain with sudden
uncertain strokes of soggy
gloves right smack across
my neurons naked
in the heat of mental things.
I have no idea.

July 4, 2009 4:55 PM

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I feel wet, slurpy. I slosh too...my brain, right now, a slippery slope of precarious footing. Neurons naked. Flayed really. Not comfortable. Not in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, Annie, this brings to mind something a guy said to me a bunch of years ago.

    If you wish enlightenment you will have to lighten up.

    I write this not necessarily for you but to add on in case someone thinks he or she should take that poem seriously. It occured to me that such heaviness could happen.

    This is poetic joking, people, though beneath the light hearted stuff, there is perhaps a serious point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite serious Christopher. There is a time for heaviness. It has it's place. Lightness too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, of course. I have no intention of disrupting the flow of your life, trying to place levity where it is not.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!